pages (don't edit or move)

navbar home aboutme review policy reviews

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Review: Deceit in Bloom by Jennifer Michael!


Cautionary tales don’t usually have happy endings…
Raised in foster care. The sister of a whore. The fool who fell for the wrong guy. 
Paisley James is all too aware that sometimes fairy tales just don’t exist.
There is no telling where hearts belong or loyalties lie when deceit is in bloom.
Author Note: Deceit in Bloom is book one of a series and ends in a BIG, dramatic cliffhanger (No joke). The story continues in book two, Vengeance in Bloom.


The end of this book killed me. Okay, not really, but the cliffhanger is pretty intense. I foresee a major book hangover following this book. The ending leaves the reader with so many different questions and possibilities, it's enough to make your head spin. To say I am eagerly anticipating book two is an understatement. 

This book was amazing. It's honestly one of the best debut novels I've ever read. I flew through it quickly and enjoyed every second of it. The writing style was really enjoyable and I'm glad we had dual points of view. I like that the two main characters are so vastly different. I loved learning what was going on in their heads and seeing their character growth throughout the novel. I'm seriously hoping book two will be out soon because I can't wait to see what happens next for these characters.

One of my favorite things about this story is that none of the characters are perfect. Everyone has some type of baggage or dark past. It makes for a novel that is both dark and twisted. (But not too much!) All the characters are so intriguing. I want to learn more about them all and enjoyed learning about their past and what has made them into who they are. (Especially Kai and Teagan. I think there's something going on there.)  

I know I'm reading a great writer when the story I'm reading is perfectly balanced. This story is complex. There are so many intricate pieces that come together within this novel. Mystery, suspense, drama, romance. There are serious issues addressed: drugs, prostitution, abuse. Not one of these aspects were overdone or didn't belong. And I also found it refreshing that all of these things were within the story. It's nice to have a book that's gritty and honest and hard to read at times.  There are a lot of suspenseful elements that drive the story. The author gives the reader enough to keep you satisfied, yet keep you in the dark at the same time. It makes for a truly addicting story. 


I recommend this one to anyone looking for a great debut novel with a lot of complex elements. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, keep you guessing and you'll love every minute of it. 

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment